Thursday, February 24, 2011

REMEMBERING SIR RONI VERGA


I have put in more that a hundred entries in this blog site talking about the choir, its escapades and all, but never have I thought of writing something about the man behind this legendary group.

The man in the picture is Sir Roni Verga. As a child, I would see this guy at the choir loft of the old Maysan church. He would stand in front of snotty singing teenagers (then), making funny arm and hand gestures as if he had a disorder of some sort. I didn't realize that time that he was just doing his job as the leader of the group. Years have passed and I followed my brother and cousins' footsteps and joined MSC.  And I came face to face at last with this humble man behind the keyboard examining me and asking of what I could contribute to his group. I did my part and I did good! Modesty aside, I made a believer out of him! He made me do solos and asked for my insights regarding what song should the group study on or what style should we put in to a particular song. And most of the time, my opinions mattered.

Time went on and he taught me the basics of being a choir master. He gave me the chance to wave the baton while under his watchful eye. He somehow taught me his style, his creativity in his music and his passion that he selflessly poured down for MSC. Little did I know that he was already passing on his torch to me...

He died an unexpected death... The torch, or should I say baton was never formally passed on. I was instantly shoved to fill up his place. I had to do it because I didn't want to hush down the sound of music from MSC. I realized that it was indeed a bitter pill to swallow on my part, but it was an inevitable choice or else, all of Sir Roni's work would end up in the dumps.

I feel sorry for this new generation of members that they missed the chance to meet an extremely honorable man. He was the reason why I have this Love-Hate relationship with my choir that I have endured for the last 12 years! He who made a big impact in my life as a musician. He whom I will truly remember for as long as I live.

6 comments:

  1. I too remember the man, he was so strict and disciplined but nurtured talents we did not know we had all along.

    Our group from De Castro Choir practiced with MSC for a few years, first in 1980 and again in the early 90's, to improve our sub-parish choir, and indeed it helped as a lot that time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. It was only now that I read about this blog about my dad. When I was a child, I often thought that my dad spent more time with the choir than with us. But music was his passion. And I felt proud how my dad touched so many lives. I hope that MSC would continue his legacy.

    Thank you for remembering him.

    -Atty. Vena Verga

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you MSC i missed you all!Thanks for remembering Dad! GOD blesss you all! VER

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you MSC for your kind words to my brother.

    Chito Acosta

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found this blog about Sir Roni, It sad to think that he was gone. I used to work in Credit Provider, Inc. if I'm not mistaken owned and managed by Sir Roni... way back 1995. I'm not sure if Vena and Venisse still remember me, sorry about your Dad, he is such a good person, I learned a lot from him.

    Luis

    ReplyDelete

REACTIONS ARE WELCOME. BUT NOT VIOLENT ONES!

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews